Missing MFPlat.DLL and MFReadWrite.dll FIX! [Might work for other missing DLL files]

Guest Opius11

Guest Opius11

A little update for everyone having this issue:

After Windows 10 Anniversary Update, there is a new Media Feature Pack (Link)

Try this as 1st solution!

DISCLAIMER: DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK; I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR PC! :P

!!! Easy fix 2 might work if you have installed Star Citizen for the first time and are running Windows 7-8-8.1-10 in N or KN version and have never installed the MFP pack. !!!

HI all!

I just wanted to share a fix I found for the 2 missing DLL file errors I received when trying to launch SC. First some background info:

I am running Windows 10 Pro N. The problems with these missing DLL files should in all normal circumstances only affect people running the N or KN version of Windows, since these versions comes without the Media Foundation Platform from Microsoft.

My problem started when I ran the big November update for Windows. I have not bothered to look into the update, but I think it is being rolled out these days, hence people might already have it installed (and with no issues) or as in my situation, I had to manually choose to install it from the Windows Update settings screen and got issues with missing DLL files.

The update is quite big, and will create a Windows.old folder on your system drive (never a good sign :P, since a lot of system files then will have been altered)

Now to Star Citizen, and the issues:

Launching Star Citizen didn't yield any issues with the launcher, but when I tried to launch the game I received two (2) separate errors. I missed both MFPlat.DLL and MFReadWrite.dll.

Googling around I found that this is related to Microsoft Media Foundation Platform, and messing around with my system I have found three solutions that might help. Two are easy fixes, and one is more in-depth. TRY THE TWO EASY SOLUTIONS FIRST!

**** EASY FIX 1 ****

1. Locate your Windows.old folder on your system drive. My system drive is C:\.

- The folder is most probably hidden, follow these instructions on how to show hidden folders in your system [Link to Microsoft help].

2. Do a search in your Windows.old folder for the missing files or locate them inside the "System32" and "SysWOW64" folder. You have 2 versions of each file, located in each of these folders.

3. Copy the old files (one at a time) to your existing "C:\Windows\System32" and "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" folders. DO NOT SWITCH FILES AND FOLDERS as these files are not the same, even if they have the same name!

4. After copying (in total 4 files), do a restart of your PC and play SC!

**** EASY FIX 2 - ALSO WORKS IF YOU ARE INSTALLING SC FOR THE FIRST TIME AND EXPERIENCE THIS PROBLEM ****

1. Go to Microsoft page and download the correct Media Feature Pack [Link to Windows 10 N and KN MFP].

2. Download the correct pack for you, 64 or 32-bit (There are packs for Windows 7 and 8 also, search Microsoft page for them). Run it and install, reboot your PC and voilà! Your problems should be fixed. Enjoy SC :)

**** HARD FIX ****

Well! If, like me, you are an idiot and deleted the Windows.old folder (Either through Disk Cleanup or manually) before trying to play SC, and EASY FIX 1 & 2 did not work, here is my solution:

1. You still need the Media Feature Pack (MFP), so if you haven't downloaded it, do so.

2. You need WinRAR, the archive program. [Link]

3. Locate the Media Future Pack file you downloaded from Microsoft, right click on the file and choose "Open With" option.

4. Choose to open the file with WinRAR.

5. In WinRAR you are now inside the MFP file. There should be one file that is a lot bigger than the others. The file inside my file had this name:

microsoft-windows-mediafeaturepack-oob-package.cab

6. Choose "Extract to" or drag this file to your desktop.

7. Make a new folder on your desktop, call it whatever you want. I called my folder "Test".

8. Open the file you added to your desktop (microsoft-windows-mediafeaturepack-oob-package.cab) with WinRAR. Mark all folders inside the archive and "Extract to" the folder on your desktop. This operation will take some time as there are really really many files inside.

WARNING 1: !!!!! YOU MIGHT GET AN ERROR AT THE END OF THIS EXTRACTION; IF YOU DO, JUST CLICK "CLOSE" BUTTON ON THE WARNING FROM WINRAR !!!!!

WARNING 2: !!!!! THE EXTRACTION AND MOVING FILES INTO THE FOLDER TAKES A LONG TIME, LEAVE THE PROCESS EVEN IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS CRASHED !!!!!

9. Go to the folder on your desktop and open it. Use the search field in the window ( CTRL+F) and search for MFPlat.DLL and MFReadWrite.dll. For both files you will get multiple files as a result (I got 5 files for each). You are only interested in two (2) of the files, the 2 that have the .dll extension (the others are MUI files). Make sure you have Detailed View in your folder, or else you might be able to differentiate between the 2 files we want. They have the same names, but are located in different folders.

10. Let us pretend you searched for MFPlat.DLL. You have selected "details" under your folder view, and you have 5 files listed in your search.

- Look at the folders the 2 .dll files are located in. One should start with "wow64" and the other with "amd64".

- Copy the MFPlat.DLL in the "wow64" folder and paste it in "[Your system disk]\Windows\SysWOW64" (for me this is: C:\Windows\SysWOW64).

- Copy the MFPlat.DLL in the "amd64" folder and paste it in "[Your system disk]\Windows\System32" (for me this is: C:\Windows\System32).

Do the same for MFReadWrite.dll files.

11. Reboot, play the game! :)

Final note: This solution might work for Win7 and Win8 users as well, but I have not tested. For more reference, I think I know why the easy solution 2 didn't work for me. I suspect that my registry in Windows contained links to these two (2) dll files before the update, but that this update "reset" the windows installation to some extent, but did not delete the registry strings. The issue arises when you try to install the MFP pack, the registry entry is still there, and the installer gets confused and doesn't copy the files. This is just a speculation from my side, so don't take it as exact surgery.

This will also leave you with some other options on how to fix the issue (that I have not tested !!!!), and involves deleting the keys in the registry before installing the MFP. However, messing with this is not a solution I suggest unless you have the knowledge of what you are doing. At least make a backup of your registry before messing with it!

The same approach might work if you are missing any other system dll files, as most of them can be found inside different download packs on Microsofts website.

!!! I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOWNLOADING THE DLL FILES DIRECTLY FROM WEBSITES !!!!!

Hope this helps and see you in the verse!

Opius11

• 3 years later...

After the new update of Win 10, I haven't been using the PC too much because of other work but now I get the error message of missing the mfplat.dll file and I found out that is something like a Media error file but can't find which one to fix it. Did I need to reinstall the file or download it from some website and install it again?